Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Los Jalisciences #2

I try not to buy too many meals out during the week. Those little debit charges add up and it's more healthy and satisfying to eat at home. This week though the weekend was busy enough to keep me from grocery shopping and I'm planning an early weekend get-away to Fredericksburg on Friday, so I haven't bothered to plan a week's worth of meals. Well, whatever the justification, I had no milk for my coffee this morning and I bought breakfast tacos out.

Ever since Aurora mentioned it, I've been meaning to try Los Jalisciences #2. I have no idea where Los Jalisciences #1 is, but #2 sits right off of 290 East at the I-35/290 split between the Cameron and Berkman exits. Sits, did I say? Perches? Roosts? Squats like a strange, alien vessel? It's quite the architectural anomaly, as you can see from Robby Virus' excellent photograph, borrowed from his flickr account, below:



Yes, Los Jalisciences #2 is connected to an Econolodge, and while I wouldn't call my breakfast either free or high speed, it was pretty cheap and relatively quick. I only paid $2.63 for my tacos and they were ready in a white paper bag within five minutes. Big kudos for having 99-cent tacos in the mornings, though I believe I saw a sign stating that deal only lasts until noon. They also had a killer looking jukebox.

I should've taken my own pictures in and around the building, but as I was the only person there at that hour of the morning, I would've felt like a big weirdo. So, instead I quickly ordered two huevos a la mexicana tacos (a quick litmus test for breakfast taco authenticity, which Jali passed) with queso (my preference) and took them back to my office.

I remembered that Aurora had suggested Los Jalisciences, but what I should've remembered was the way she then clicked her tongue and shook her head and announced that their tacos were too soggy and that she doesn't like soggy tacos. Who does? This taco/economic-lodging fusion is less than a mile from my place of work, but by the time I got my freshly made tacos to go and took them up to my office (a full five-minutes at most), they looked like this when I opened them up:



Now, I know that food taken to-go is not necessarily supposed to look like food presented to you for eating at a restaurant, and I know that tacos are especially hard to make pretty to-go, but this was a soggy, soggy, greasy, soggy mess. I'd like to draw your attention to the shininess of the soggy paper and the discoloration of the tortilla (a side-effect of the aforementioned sogginess). Of course I still ate them and they tasted good even though they required about twice the usual number of napkins. The included to-go salsa selection was above and beyond, but I still can't get over what a mess these tacos were.

Final analysis: cool building, weird Econo-lodge connection, good prices, bad restrictions on breakfast, nice jukebox, tasty salsa, waterlogged tacos that should come with taco bib. Overall an odd experience and not a great taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment